Saturday, February 26, 2005

Are UUs reactionary about Christianity?

Jfield at Left Coast Unitarian talks about an issue that I've thought about recently.
I had a fairly painful UU conversation yesterday. A friend was really struggling with the notion that Unitarian Universalism was a Christian religion. It was his contention that he would not be UU if it were explicitly identified as Christian (or perhaps even post-Christian if post-Christian did not mean non-Christian). I don't consider myself a Christian or a theist. I have made that clear in this space before. But I don't feel the need to flee if folks are honest about our Christian heritage. I will admit that like my friend I would not have become a UU if it was explicitly identified as Christian at the time. But as members and especially as seminarians I think we have to get past that. By all means, we don't have to be Christians but we have to get past being reactionary about Christianity. (I would generally substitute atheists and Pagans for Christians too.)
He goes on to talk about Christian supercessionism, which he defines in the article.

There's at least one good reply by Fausto to the article posted. Fausto says, in part,

UUism has not superseded Christianity, but rather, is a dissenting manifestation of Christianity. It is not a superior and antithetical revelation, but an authentic expression of the Protestant principle of personal discernment of Truth, carried to the ultimate extreme.

I certainly learn a lot by reading other people's blogs.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

">