Thursday, October 13, 2005

Fausto: What a Great UU Church Could be

Fausto, over at the Socinian, posits What a Great UU Church Could Be. His thoughts are based on the fact that both Unitarian and Universalist theology are based upon Christianity.

It's going to raise a lot of disagreement, especially on first reading (except, I would think, from those who consider themselves Unitarian Christians). But it needs to be read slowly, and a couple of times. I don't think he's saying that UU churches need to be "Christian" (Fausto, please correct me if I'm wrong).

Some of the ideas are a little more difficult for me to accept than others. For example,

A church that cherishes and uses the Bible as its first source of moral and spiritual insight, rather than neglecting or disparaging it.
I agree that the Bible is often neglected, if not disparaged, in UU churches. And I agree there's a lot of moral and spiritual insight in it. It's the first source idea that I'm reflexively gritting my teeth on. Maybe first among equals? His definition of Humanist as a "as a half-true, half-false heresy" also grates. Perhaps just a little polishing might be in order.

The thing I like about it, overall, is it describes something solid. Maybe I'll bring it to the Mass Bay District meeting this month and distribute it :) (Unless Fausto's planning on coming, of course).

2 Comments:

At 3:32 PM, Blogger fausto said...

I don't think he's saying that UU churches need to be "Christian" (Fausto, please correct me if I'm wrong)

Nope, I'm only saying that a church like the imaginary one I describe would be an exciting place, and might be able to attract a different sort of UU recruit and more of them than our all-things-to-all-people paradigm.

Perhaps just a little polishing might be in order.

Change "first" to "important" and omit the word "heresy".

Any better?

Maybe I'll bring it to the Mass Bay District meeting this month and distribute it :) (Unless Fausto's planning on coming, of course).

I'm not going to any distict meetings, so feel free. (Still mulling whether to bring it up in my own church's Worship Committee, though.)

 
At 10:39 PM, Blogger PeaceBang said...

I don't like it! I am offended by it! I think it's bitter and heretical!! Just because Fausto didn't get enough smacking on his own web site and I thought a UU Christian should take a hard slap at him somewhere!

Consider it done!

(sorry guys, it's been a long week and I'm just punchy)

I agree with the changes. And I hope that you take them to the Mass Bay just to generate conversation, Paul.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

">