Monday, December 15, 2008

Unitarian Universalist Minister/Blogger Known As Peacebang has written a piece called How To Write and Deliver a Sermon. I'm not a minister, of course, so I can't comment on most of her points from experience (although intuitively they make sense).

The one I can totally agree with - from the perspective of someone who listens to UU sermons weekly is this:

Sermons are not "talks" or lectures. They should minister to people, not merely inform them.
Now I like lectures as much as the next guy - I love to learn things. But there are lots of places I can go for lectures. My guess is that lectures are a lot easier to write than sermons that minister to the congregation, and some ministers have a greater or lesser tendency to lapse into taking it a little bit easy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

">