Monday, February 16, 2009

Job Lead

I've got my resume up on Monster. As those of you who know me know, I'm an IT (Information Technology) kinda of guy. (For those of you who don't know me, I'm also an IT kind of guy). So my resume is full of words and expressions like Oracle SQL, UNIX , and COBOL. Helps to use the right buzzwords.

So I got a lead today from Monster - I was psyched! Somebody's hiring! Here's the email:

After reviewing your resume we feel as though you fit the criteria we are looking for in a local Account Executive position. We are a Sports Marketing company that works with all the local Schools and Teams in your area. We do all of their published materials including Sports posters, game tickets, programs, banners, websites, coupon books, and schedule cards; what ever these teams license or contract us out to do for them. Your job as an account executive would include maintaining relationships with local schools and teams, as well as their sponsors. Sponsors would be businesses such as Bank of America, Pepsi-Cola, AT&T Wireless as well as smaller "Mom and Pop" type businesses that support local teams. The territory is about a 60 miles radius around the city and it is established so one would take over existing accounts --but, of course we are always looking to grow, so business development is fundamental to the position. We do have a base salary plus commission structure, with medical benefits and a retirement plan. If this interests you please call us (do not email we have already reviewed your resume) to get more detailed information and possibly set up an interview.
I was a little confused, but didn't want to pass up a potential opportunity. In spite of the the request to call them, I sent them an email. I tried to be very careful in how I worded it - I wanted them to know that I was interested in the posssibility of employment, while just wanting to clarify a few minor details:
Thank you so much for your email below regarding positions with your organization.

I believe, however, you may have sent me the wrong form letter. My resume indicated that I am interested in Information Technology positions.

Also, to be completely honest, although I'm 60 years old, it was only within the past few years that I found out what league the Boston Red Sox are in. I hope my complete lack of interest and knowledge about sports would not hurt too much if I were to become associated with your firm.

If you have a different form letter regarding Information Technology positions, I would be glad to review it.

I'm waiting with baited breath to see what the next step will be. Wish me luck!

2 Comments:

At 11:40 PM, Blogger Lizard Eater said...

Hubs is a computer geek, too. I mean, IT professional.

Do you want to stay in your town, or are you open to relocation?

 
At 8:56 AM, Blogger Paul Wilczynski said...

I just moved from the Boston area to the Charleston, SC area. I'm looking for things that are either in this area, or for which I could telecommute.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

">