Friday, October 21, 2005

Grubbs: The cliché sermon

Clyde Grubbs talks about clichéd sermons.
Back in the day I would complain "if I hear one more book report sermon, I will scream." One of the most common sermonic methods for Unitarian Universalist ministers was to read a book and then tell their congregation all about it on Sunday.

I think we still find inspiration for a sermon in the books that we read, but we have learned to relate the contents of the book to our lives, or some national happening. I know I will read John M. Barry, The Great Influenza: The Epic Story of the Greatest Plague in History before I attempt a little prophetic preaching about the impending pandemic of "bird flu." One can read books, just don't do a book report.

But apparently there is a new cliche genre of Unitarian Universalist sermons. ...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

">